• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Secrets" - Cypress Point

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
45acpForMe wrote:
So everyone take responsibility for your own actions and leave others alone.
That is all we in the South have ever asked from anyone.

:)

We've been over this before.
My position hasn't changed but then I don't have more than a few glasses of wine a year .

I consider No drinking with a gun a golden rule!

BUT....unlike Novacop, I don't stick my nose where it doesn't belong.
If you want to drink, don't hunt around me but what everyone does in town is their own business.

So everyone take responsibility for your own actions and leave others alone.

+300

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
My position hasn't changed but then I don't have more than a few glasses of wine a year.
What, like all at once?

;):D
Getting old sucks. Once upon a time, the wimmin started looking better at about 5 drinks.

Now, one puts me to sleep.:X

One thing about carrying is that most people are more tolerant when they have a gun.

If I were in a bar (assuming there were one in Virginia) and someone confronted me while I was carrying, I'd ignore him. If someone confronted me and I wasn't carrying...I'd knock him on his ass. That's assuming he didn't identify himself as a police officer. Then I'd wonder why he was in a bar:uhoh:

pyite

imported post

I had a beer with dinner while CC in a restaurant in Pennsylvania.

I could barely restrain myself from shooting up the place.

Luckily I resisted the urge.

wylde007

imported post

peter nap wrote:
If someone confronted me and I wasn't carrying...I'd knock him on his ass. That's assuming he didn't identify himself as a police officer. Then I'd wonder why he was in a bar:uhoh:
I wouldn't wonder why he was in a bar, er, restaurant.

If he was in uniform it may just be a courtesy stop. Some officers I've seen come in just to give the management the impression that they are out and about and "looking out for them". I think it also lets the patrons see that they are out and about.

If one identified himself and was out of uniform, what's the proof?

The truth is they have been given far more leeway than they are due and special privilege that they do not deserve. Just being a cop should not be excuse enough to not have your a$$ beat if you deserve it.

Wimmin. Hah. :D

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
peter nap wrote: Just being a cop should not be excuse enough to not have your a$$ beat if you deserve it.
Especially since it's a felony!
That's why "confronting" someone and not identifying oneself as a police officer, is stupid.

wylde007

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Especially since it's a felony!
From "felony assault on a police officer" 18.2-57(C)

C. In addition, if any person commits an assault or an assault and battery against another knowing or having reason to know that such other person is a judge, a law-enforcement officer as defined hereinafter, a correctional officer as defined in § 53.1-1, a person employed by the Department of Corrections directly involved in the care, treatment or supervision of inmates in the custody of the Department, a firefighter as defined in § 65.2-102, or a volunteer firefighter or lifesaving or rescue squad member who is a member of a bona fide volunteer fire department or volunteer rescue or emergency medical squad regardless of whether a resolution has been adopted by the governing body of a political subdivision recognizing such firefighters or members as employees, engaged in the performance of his public duties, such person is guilty of a Class 6 felony, and, upon conviction, the sentence of such person shall include a mandatory minimum term of confinement of six months.
Nothing in this subsection shall be construed to affect the right of any person charged with a violation of this section from asserting and presenting evidence in support of any defenses to the charge that may be available under common law.
"Law-enforcement officer" means any full-time or part-time employee of a police department or sheriff's office which is part of or administered by the Commonwealth or any political subdivision thereof, who is responsible for the prevention or detection of crime and the enforcement of the penal, traffic or highway laws of this Commonwealth...

That last section gets me. Are they exempt only at the time during which they are engaged in their duties as the text seems to imply?

Similarly, if instigated by the officer, off-duty, in an aggressive and patently confrontational manner, a strong argument could be made for self-defense. At least under VA law... cops are people, too. Sort of. :p

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
That last section gets me. Are they exempt only at the time during which they are engaged in their duties as the text seems to imply?

Similarly, if instigated by the officer, off-duty, in an aggressive and patently confrontational manner, a strong argument could be made for self-defense. At least under VA law... cops are people, too. Sort of. :p
Pretty much anytime. There was a lot of lobbying for this although the GA has softened it some. This is the result of the new breed of cop.

Common law defense is included now. Look up "Fighting Words".

For all the whining the Lobby did to get it passed, they really did LEO's a disservice. A felony conviction is pretty much the end of life as the suspect knows it. Why not kill the Cop and see if he can get away with it.

That;s one of the reasons for some of the extremely violent attacks on Cops during arrests. Once upon a time it wasn't worth it to kill a cop.

It's like speeding to get away from a shoplifting charge...

wylde007

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Is that to say that a "common" citizen who is drawn into a fight with an off-duty cop with a chip on his shoulder and a Tejas-size ego has a defense or no?

And, the argument only holds if the person believes or has reason to believe the instigator is a cop. Because let's face it... I'm not going to instigate anything.

Unless someone makes improprieties at my wife. Then the gloves are off. I'll probably end up in jail... after they revive me. :D

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Is that to say that a "common" citizen who is drawn into a fight with an off-duty cop with a chip on his shoulder and a Tejas-size ego has a defense or no?

And, the argument only holds if the person believes or has reason to believe the instigator is a cop. Because let's face it... I'm not going to instigate anything.

Unless someone makes improprieties at my wife. Then the gloves are off. I'll probably end up in jail... after they revive me. :D
In theory, Fighting Words go for everybody. The law stems from a time when honor was important. The courts have a little trouble with that word now.

Just learn to be as subtly irritating as they are.
While I was videoing the interaction between Grapeshot, Skidmark and the aAshland cop,

he said, "you think you have enough pictures now".

I said " No, you planning to say something you don't want on the news".

wylde007

imported post

peter nap wrote:
In theory, Fighting Words go for everybody. The law stems from a time when honor was important. The courts have a little trouble with that word now.
Well, yeah. I meant their use by an officer as an instigation tactic could nullify his being an officer. It is nigh-on entrapment.

Just learn to be as subtly irritating as they are.
No problem. I think I can do that. :lol:

I said " No, you planning to say something you don't want on the news".
Brilliant.:celebrate

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

t33j wrote:
I'd have a beer with you wylde... which is to say I'd have a beer with any of you.
Ha! So what? Anybody can drink with anybody. The real question is whether you would buy the other guy that beer! :)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My goodness, what a discussion.

A fella just has to know his limits.

I don't think the issue is that a person needs a perfectly clear mind to safely handle a firearm. If this were true, we'd all need time to make coffee before confronting a burglar in the middle of the night in the upstairs hall. I think the issue is that one's judgement and reactions are not diminished to the point of creating apotential for real danger.

zoom6zoom

imported post

I think the issue is that one's judgement and reactions are not diminished to the point of creating a potential for real danger.

I know that, you know that, he knows that. But it's the perceptions of Soccer Mom Sally that will make the papers.