• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Senate Bill 761: Lower pistol length definition to 26 inches

Xanaseyr

Has anyone else considered the fact that if they pass this and repeal registration, that any CPL holder with a copy of the RI060 form can make fake paperwork for any sufficiently old long gun?

(A) THE PERSON REGISTERED THE FIREARM AS A PISTOL UNDER SECTION
2 OR 2A BEFORE JANUARY 1, 2013.
(B) THE PERSON WHO REGISTERED THE FIREARM AS DESCRIBED IN
SUBDIVISION (A) HAS MAINTAINED REGISTRATION OF THE FIREARM SINCE
JANUARY 1, 2013 WITHOUT LAPSE.
The way I read it, none of them will be exempt once we tip over registration.
If we want vehicular/concealed carry of long arms (Michigan pistols), that's something to worry about separately.

Last edited:

Michigander

If your interpretation is correct, and I frankly don't know one way or the other what to believe about it, with the way you interpreted it, it will merely mean that until such time as things further change, we'll need to do what I was saying before and have federal law pistols with 16" barrels and an OAL under 26" Uzis, AKs, 10/22s, MAKs, maybe others, will be the way to go.

No more shot guns besides AOWs in cars if you're right, but it will be a new business opportunity for builders to make some money on Michigan specific rifle compliance crap.