• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Sound OC Report........

devildoc5

I was just posting as I felt that others had had VERY disimilar experiences and I was honestly SHOCKED that mine went over as well as it did. Yes it could have gone even a LOT "mo' betta", but it was pretty good overall. Hopefully this trend will continue with them. I did have audio recording rolling just in case anythign major occured, however there was really not much to record. I am kinda glad about that...

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Juvenile court? Did you get caught spray painting graffiti on the school again?

My daughter (the senior with the 3.92 GPA) felt the need to skip a few classes and got caught off campus....... No lates, no tardies, no unexcused absences for the next 30 days and she is clear.

Trigger Dr

Bill,
Tell her that if I find out about it, I will reconsider a recommendation for a position with the Ball Club
OH WAIT!!! That was Gogodawgs daughter that wanted the job.

Last edited:

Deleted_User

I finally decided to OC the shoulder holster. I tried a store I'm normally in for comfort level first and will try others later.

Papa Murphy's 112th / Canyon - No issues. I did get a good look from the guy that came in behind me, and I was checking him out too. He was covered in tattoos. I have no problem with tats, they're just not for me. No issues though. I'll probably try a Wal-Mart and Fred Meyer next before trying somewhere else.

I like my Serpa, but I'm still used to my shoulder rig. It's my usual CC piece.

Trigger Dr

At the end of season banquet, I spoke with the VP of HR. She is open and waiting for a resume from her. One of the main things is availability. Should be able to work at least 40 games.

tony d tiger

Out and about, Lacey & Lakewood

Started out at the Mountain Home Bakery, then went around the corner to a couple of Lacey City parks:
Homann Park, which I'd noticed last weekend, turns out to be a little league sized ball park, with some grassy fields on the side... thought today was a school day, but there was some football practice going on off on one of those fields. Enjoyed my strawberry/cream cheese strudel with a latté while looking around.

Then it was off to the Woodland Creek Community Park, much bigger area, with a nice ~1/2 mile loop trail. While here a bald eagle flew in and landed on a tree overlooking the pond. Think it may have been considering the ducks on the water (or the Canadian geese on the grass) but flew away when I approached too close to its perch. Got about 40 feet away from the tree it was in, with a clear view... quite impressive - I love it whenever I see these magnificent animals.

It was misty raining in Lacey, so I postponed my plans (Capitol Forest) and headed north to Lakewood instead, parked in Ponders by Old Sarge's Pawnshop - went in to poke around... I've been looking for a .357 carbine. No luck there. Just down the street is the AAA loans & gun shop, another swing-and-a-miss. The guy behind the counter here asked about open carry law in this state, thanks to this site I was able to provide some useful information for him.

Getting towards lunchtime, so I moved on to the Hess Bakery & Deli, where I got some German lunchmeats, bread & pretzels (http://hessbakery.com/); then back to Ponders to get some .22 ammo at the Surplus Ammo & Arms shop... dropped the foodstuff off at the house and continued south to the Capitol Forest gravel pit, plinking 150 rounds of .22 and ~50 or 60 rounds of .45 for the end of my (OC) day.

Ayuh - might've been a little rain at times, but overall, it was a good day to be alive.
Hope your's went as well!
Tony D.

Leatherneck

I finally decided to OC the shoulder holster. I tried a store I'm normally in for comfort level first and will try others later.

Papa Murphy's 112th / Canyon - No issues. I did get a good look from the guy that came in behind me, and I was checking him out too. He was covered in tattoos. I have no problem with tats, they're just not for me. No issues though. I'll probably try a Wal-Mart and Fred Meyer next before trying somewhere else.

I like my Serpa, but I'm still used to my shoulder rig. It's my usual CC piece.

The only shoulder rig I've got is for my revolver. So I don't have extra mags to hang on the other side as a counter weight. So since the right hand strap eats into my armpit I don't wear it that often.

Deleted_User

Papa Murphy's 112th / Canyon - No Issues

Albertson's 112th / Canyon - No Issues

On the way out, there was a young lady standing next to her car on a phone. I asked if she needed a jump and her serpentine belt was in her hand. I hopped out after parking to take a look. One of the pulleys fell off and I was the belt sheered off as well. I gave her the pieces and offered her dinner with me and my family. She declined as she's awaiting her parents from a town an hour + away. We left her in peace as she waited and said she's fine as she works nearby. She had no issues and never mentioned twice my Beretta on my hip.

A good OC day in all.

Gadsden

Open Carry around Gig Harbor

Saturday afternoon around the harbor:

Lunch: Pizza at Round Table with the family. Two birthday parties going on, couple
trips through the salad bar. No incident.

Tire Quote at Les Schwab, no incident.

COSTCO: at entry there was a booth for the liquor initiative 1100, the guy at the booth was more than interested in my 1911 colt defender on the hip. He asked me about my opinion of glock vs springfield xd and 9mm vs 40 vs 45 etc. This went on for 15 minutes or so, meanwhile at least 100 people walked by me and my family engaged in gun talk, no incident. Shopped for 20 minutes, very busy at the checkout no incident.

Local Bodega: bought a 6 pack for later and 2 rockstars for the morning, girl behind the counter asks "whats the gun for?" i reply "to make a statement about my right to bear arms" the other girl asks " can i hold it" i laugh and tell her no.

fordguy

COSTCO: at entry there was a booth for the liquor initiative 1100, the guy at the booth was more than interested in my 1911 colt defender on the hip. He asked me about my opinion of glock vs springfield xd and 9mm vs 40 vs 45 etc. This went on for 15 minutes or so, meanwhile at least 100 people walked by me and my family engaged in gun talk, no incident. Shopped for 20 minutes, very busy at the checkout no incident.

So did you OC while shopping inside Costco?

tony d tiger

Originally Posted by Gadsden
So did you OC while shopping inside Costco?

Had wondered about that myself, but mebbe' that one runs different than the one in Lacey... :)

tombrewster421

At Starbucks in Yelm there are two police officers minding their own business. Imagine that. Just like most of the time I run into LEO's.

amlevin

or they recognized you and didn't want their asses in a ringer too. :p

Would that be a Ringer like this?
clip_image002.png

Or perhaps you meant Wringer, like this:

wringer.jpg

Last edited:

bugly

Several times recently, Hilltop area Tacoma. Approached a LEO who was parked in the middle of the road near my apartment with his lights going. Asked him if he needed help or was broke down and needed assistance. Politely told "no". No issues with my openly carrying a holstered .45 cal 1911.
A local pharmacy's alarm was going off and three LEOs were checking it out. Approached the nearest one and asked if they needed backup, the flashlight was used to identify me and since my hands were in plain sight and held in a non-threatening manner, I was very politely informed they had the issue handled and was told to have a nice evening. Tacoma PD officers are fully aware of the legality of OC and are friendly and polite when approached in a non-threatening manner. After all, they are people with lives outside their work and would like to not have any issues on shift.
Good on the Tacoma PD and their understanding of the laws n this state.

Ruby

Several times recently, Hilltop area Tacoma. Approached a LEO who was parked in the middle of the road near my apartment with his lights going. Asked him if he needed help or was broke down and needed assistance. Politely told "no". No issues with my openly carrying a holstered .45 cal 1911.
A local pharmacy's alarm was going off and three LEOs were checking it out. Approached the nearest one and asked if they needed backup, the flashlight was used to identify me and since my hands were in plain sight and held in a non-threatening manner, I was very politely informed they had the issue handled and was told to have a nice evening. Tacoma PD officers are fully aware of the legality of OC and are friendly and polite when approached in a non-threatening manner. After all, they are people with lives outside their work and would like to not have any issues on shift.
Good on the Tacoma PD and their understanding of the laws n this state.

This is something I don't understand. It seems to me that by approaching these officers you are looking for an encounter. I thought the idea behind OC was to normalize it. Most "normal" citizens do not approach LEOs, especially those involved in something and ask if they need "help". They have the whole Tacome PD to help them, why would they need your help?
You were lucky they were nice, they could have taken it as interfering with them doing their job. In light of everything that has happened recently with OCers, I would stay the hell away from LEOs and let them do their job.

xxx.jakk.xxx

This is something I don't understand. It seems to me that by approaching these officers you are looking for an encounter. I thought the idea behind OC was to normalize it. Most "normal" citizens do not approach LEOs, especially those involved in something and ask if they need "help". They have the whole Tacome PD to help them, why would they need your help?
You were lucky they were nice, they could have taken it as interfering with them doing their job. In light of everything that has happened recently with OCers, I would stay the hell away from LEOs and let them do their job.

He was offering help that would have been offered with or without his sidearm. It was a "common courtesy" thing, not a "this is my gun and you can't do a thing about it" thing. Also, to normalize, you must do your normal thing while carrying, not act like you're a different person and become a reclusive person and avoid contact with outsiders.

dizzle2

He was offering help that would have been offered with or without his sidearm. It was a "common courtesy" thing, not a "this is my gun and you can't do a thing about it" thing. Also, to normalize, you must do your normal thing while carrying, not act like you're a different person and become a reclusive person and avoid contact with outsiders.

yup i woulda done the same thing