• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taking away troops' guns would reduce suicides, study finds

wabbit

How bout we push for 'right to die' initiatives to handle those cases Mama mentioned.

Now of course good members, you must overcome the religious objections, but other parts of the civilized world have done so.

Let us not forget the fine split hair between euthanasia and R-T-D which is who administers the life terminating meds.

DC, OR, CO, Vermont, CA, WA have initiatives in place already.

Sorry Mama, Grapeshot is right, it is the ultimate selfish act but as MSG L points out there are always alternatives to preclude suicidal individuals from pulling their vehicle in front of a freeway traveling semi, or driving head on into another vehicle, or

The individual mantra of 'woe is me - I would be better off dead' rationale doesn't hold water, especially when i see the likes of individuals of Steven Hawking caliber functioning in our society.

Finally JT, for those terminally ill, there is hospice activities, an excellent humane departure for the terminally ill AND the family members.

Please remember, on average, Medicare spent 28 percent, or about $170 billion, on patients' last six months of life!

papa bear

First i would like to state i have no sympathy for suicides. It is a selfish act of murder.
If a person wants to murder themselves, taking away their guns will not do anything to stop them.

I just hope they kill themselves and not take anyone with them

solus

You know nothing about Hawking's life or about his thoughts on suicide. Stephen Hawking has been incapable of suicide for many years whatever his desires may be or have been.

oh nightmare, i suppose you and stephen are bussum buddies...

as usual you are speaking out of the wrong orifice...

lookie what your next to favorite newspeek media said on 4 jun 15:

Famed theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking has lived longer than anyone ever known with the neurodegenerative disease amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as ALS. But Hawking said Wednesday that he would consider assisted suicide under certain circumstances.

Hawking is a known supporter of the controversial practice of assisted suicide, in which the elderly or people with particularly painful or terminal illnesses can take their own lives peacefully, with the assistance of someone like a physician.

To keep someone alive against their wishes is the ultimate indignity,"

"I would consider assisted suicide only if I were in great pain or felt I had nothing more to contribute but was just a burden to those around me.”

wabbit hang in there it does get better

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

I suggest we all go watch / million Dollar baby...

Again, in my humble opinion, being able to end ones life on ones own terms is the ultimate form of "Individual liberty"..

We come into life needing others, we leave life on our own terms if physically possible..

Great topic for debate.. Is there a right way to die? Is lingering and hanging tough in some hospital bed and seeing the sadness on our loved ones faces more nobel than alleviating ones suffering and never seeing the sadness in the eyes of our loved ones.?

Is there an honorable way to die?

We attempt to live with pride and dignity, are we not also allow to die with pride and dignity? Is there any pride in defecating on ones self and or forgetting the names of those that sit by our death bed?

Living is difficult, dying should be easy...

My .02
Regards
CCJ

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I cannot speak for grapeshot, but I don't think he was referring to physical pain. I believe he is referring to mental pain. The brain cannot feel physical pain. There is a difference.
Grapeshot said “Physical pain and mental pain/suffering often go hand in hand.” I don't disagree.

But let me clarify, over my many years I have interacted with some who are unable to deal with life. To the point that they have a difficult time functioning day to day. Most of these people having no wants in life and having never had to deal with any strife. This is what I was referring to. Reasons for this type of pain are many, but separate from mental pain as a result of physical pain.

Agree or disagree, that was my point.

MamaLiberty

I definitely was not judging - I was discussing.

Physical pain and mental pain/suffering often go hand in hand.

Each individual owns their life and is the only one responsible for it... I'm glad your situation turned out well. But your own life is the only one you have legitimate control over.

And nobody can truly understand the pain and suffering of another, regardless of the source. Nobody can legitimately demand that anyone continue to suffer beyond their ability to endure it.

I have several extremely painful conditions... have endured moderate to severe pain for 53 years of my 71... and don't know how much longer I can continue. I've been to the doctors, and there is little available that helps much... and either way at ruinous expense. The "war on drugs" has made suicide a very necessary option... for me eventually, most likely, and for many, many others each day. Calling us "selfish" certainly doesn't help.

Instead of "selfish," I think suicide is one of the ultimate penalties society pays for the illusion that our glorious leaders know **** from shinola...

MamaLiberty

Well I was talking about the need to help those vets who have mental health problems, instead of punishing them by taking away their rights. The thread is not about US foreign policy.

Definitely a subject for another place. I was a Marine brat, a Navy wife, and understand very well the delusions the "service" people are brainwashed with. There hasn't been a defensive "war" since the British were kicked out of New England. You might give some thought to that...

Or ask just WHY so many in the military (and police for that matter) commit suicide and have such terrible PTSD, etc. No connection, I'm sure.

wabbit

Grapeshot said “Physical pain and mental pain/suffering often go hand in hand.” I don't disagree.

But let me clarify, over my many years I have interacted with some who are unable to deal with life. To the point that they have a difficult time functioning day to day. Most of these people having no wants in life and having never had to deal with any strife. This is what I was referring to. Reasons for this type of pain are many, but separate from mental pain as a result of physical pain.

Agree or disagree, that was my point.

those who cannot deal with life are suffering from mental health issue(s) and need to see a MH professional trained in those issues!

NO that is not their general practioner who had a six month rotation on the psych ward 18 years ago during med internship