• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do you carry?

Dreamer

I only CCW. I never open carry.

The ONLY place in NC law that the phrase "Carrying a Concealed Weapon" (CCW) is used is in the definition of a CRIME--CC without a proper permit. If you are, in fact, engaged in CCW, then I can understand why you would never OC--criminals don't like to draw attention to themselves...

If, on the other hand, you have a valid NC Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP), and you regularly CC in a lawful manner (like the rest of us OC legally) then I welcome you to the forum! There is room here for everyone who is law-abiding.

All lawful modes of carry are good modes of carry, in my opinion!

However, please don't consider yourself to be a 2A activist.

By hiding your firearm all the time, you send the message to the public that you are ashamed of your 2A rights, and consider them something to be kept secret and out of the public eye.

You send the message to criminals that you are unarmed and incapable of defending yourself like all the other sheeple victims, and therefore do nothing to deter crime.

You send the message to OCers that you are selfish and anti-social because your mode of carry ONLY serves to protect YOU--and even then as a reactionary defense--CC does nothing to deter crime before it begins, and does little to deter the open, public criminality that is growing in our cities.

And worst of all, you teach your children and family that guns are dirty, offensive, and socially unacceptable, and should be hidden when out in public, because "someone might be frightened, or offended" by the lawful, Constitutional exercise of a fundamental human right.

CC if you must, but don't think for one minute that doing so contributes one molecule of effectiveness to 2A activism...

Don't get me wrong--I CC when I must. When weather requires me to wear long coats (winter, or heavy rain), or when I'm wearing a sportscoat or a suit, I will CC. But if weather and clothing requirements allow (which is about 99% of the time from March-November), I OC--with pride, confidence, and a pocket full of "NC Firearms Rights" brochures...

Last edited:

muccione

The ONLY place in NC law that the phrase "Carrying a Concealed Weapon" (CCW) is used is in the definition of a CRIME--CC without a proper permit. If you are, in fact, engaged in CCW, then I can understand why you would never OC--criminals don't like to draw attention to themselves...

If, on the other hand, you have a valid NC Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP), and you regularly CC in a lawful manner (like the rest of us OC legally) then I welcome you to the forum! There is room here for everyone who is law-abiding.

All lawful modes of carry are good modes of carry, in my opinion!

However, please don't consider yourself to be a 2A activist.

By hiding your firearm all the time, you send the message to the public that you are ashamed of your 2A rights, and consider them something to be kept secret and out of the public eye.

You send the message to criminals that you are unarmed and incapable of defending yourself like all the other sheeple victims, and therefore do nothing to deter crime.

You send the message to OCers that you are selfish and anti-social because your mode of carry ONLY serves to protect YOU--and even then as a reactionary defense--CC does nothing to deter crime before it begins, and does little to deter the open, public criminality that is growing in our cities.

And worst of all, you teach your children and family that guns are dirty, offensive, and socially unacceptable, and should be hidden when out in public, because "someone might be frightened, or offended" by the lawful, Constitutional exercise of a fundamental human right.

CC if you must, but don't think for one minute that doing so contributes one molecule of effectiveness to 2A activism...

Don't get me wrong--I CC when I must. When weather requires me to wear long coats (winter, or heavy rain), or when I'm wearing a sports coat or a suit, I will CC. But if weather and clothing requirements allow (which is about 99% of the time from March-November), I OC--with pride, confidence, and a pocket full of "NC Firearms Rights" brochures...

Well put.... I also OC 99% of the time..1%CC... My brother doesn't agree with OC but he just said that he notices more and more of the OC revolution taking place... sometimes the wife disagrees with OC but I think she is feels safer when Im carrying...

Smith45acp

Dreamer I realize you are probably just being passionate about what most of us believe in...

...But your post comes across as very judgmental

Just as I don't want someone who chooses to carry concealed labeling me as a cowboy, I don't project the assumption they're wussies on them.

To each his own and as you said, all modes of carry are good modes of carry! Let's leave it at that, it's fair to everyone!

OC is, at the end of the day, something I feel is good when done responsibly. But it is not without negatives, and some people don't want to deal with the negatives or be activists. Let's just thank the guy for his pro-2A votes, which I'm sure he contributes ;)

Last edited:
M

mattwestm

I open carry because conceal carrying is giving into the sheep who "are scared by the sight of a gun". If everyone who CCs OC'd, a lot of people would be more educated on gun matters. I think most people CC because they are too afraid of confrontations. I will agree that there are some places that OC is inappropriate.

As far as CCW. A lot of people use that term when referring to their "Concealed Carry Weapon of choice". I don't think CCW should be used as a verb...

Jerry1981

attachment.php

Rolaids
Gerber Ripstop I
Lighter
Zebra F-402
Nail Clippers
Keys
Leather Wallet
Kel Tec P-11 (9mm) 10+1
Blackberry 8330 Curve

Attachments

• 100_0092.jpg
    100_0092.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 770

KevlarCowboy

I carry a Glock 22 Gen4 w/ insight M3X tac light in Safariland 6004 thigh rig.
also carry in 4 o'clock in serpa w/ blackhawk light and mag holder in 8 o'clock position.
spare mag.
cell phone on rig.
smokes and lighter.
bill fold and spare change (sometimes).
Gerber Gator folding knife.
tums/rolaids.

I like to oc but anybody who chooses to cc is ok by me, I appreciate anyone who chooses carry as long as its a legal carry. I also know there are a lot of places that do not allow oc so you have to cc, because its better to carry some way then to not carry at all.

glockaholic

I'm surprised nobody carries what I believe is an essential piece of equipment: a clean handkerchief. It makes it so much more pleasant dealing with an unexpected sneeze. And it has many other uses too.

r1dramma

CZ 85 Compact .40 cal (CC mostly w/Hornandy CD)

Ruger LCP .380 (CC & OC w/Hornandy CD)

FNH 5.7 x 28 (OC & OC w/Trident S5 or S4)

(one of the above plus)
keys & money clip w/cc's & bc's
Evo 4g w/voice recorder & HD video recorder

Attachments

• IMG_7467.jpg
    IMG_7467.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 260
M

mattwestm

(one of the above plus)

How do you like that Five-Seven? I've always wanted one, I just can't spend $1000 on a handgun yet.

r1dramma

Your ready for anything.

Almost!!

How do you like that Five-Seven? I've always wanted one, I just can't spend $1000 on a handgun yet.

Put it this way I took my 62 yr old mom to the range when she came down to visit from NY, she had never touch a gun in her entire life and after about 100 rnds down range, I had to beg her to let me shoot it! I have no regrets what so ever. If you have a local range that rents them out I would encourage everyone to give them a try, they are loads of fun!

glockaholic

Here's another question for the group: what do you carry all this stuff in? I can get by with jeans and my jacket. That usually provides me with enough pockets for everything. But recently I purchased a pair of Taclite pants from 5.11 and WOW, they are so comfortable and have plenty of pockets. Makes me want to get several more pairs.

I already had one of their "photographer" vests for IDPA and I like it, but I just haven't gotten comfortable wearing it in public yet. It has plenty of storage, but it falls so low on my body that OC becomes difficult.

So the question: how do y'all stash this EDC stuff away comfortably?

elixin77

gun in holster and mag pouch on my belt. cell phone in my left front pocket, wallet and pocket knife in front ride side pocket. If I carried a baton, then I would also be putting that on my belt as well.

rotorhead

(one of the above plus)

Whoa, never mind the guns, let's talk about the pic on the cell phone!

:)

r1dramma

Whoa, never mind the guns, let's talk about the pic on the cell phone!

:)

It's just a random pic I use for a wallpaper!

$clip L.front pocket
Keys R.front pocket
Holstered gun bet 4&5 O'clock
Holstered cell @ my one O'clock