• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Younger Generation

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
No. Your statist epithet LEO removes all credibility. You opine from your peculiarly parochial point of view.
Doug !:shock:

I thought you died.
Damn, now I have to cancel the wake.:X

Mechman

imported post

Hello everyone! I would like to add in my thoughts on this topic...which is an important one I believe.

Let's face the truth...age does weigh in on how folks react to others carrying a weapon. I am coming up on 50 this year and just started carrying within this past year. I knew right off the bat that the older look would be an advantage for me when folks gave me a second glance in the local Wal Mart!

Just like anything else our younger OC's will have to expect to "pay their dues" and earn the trust and respect of folks as they go about their business. If you come across to folks as being snotty, or having an attitude...you will succeed in playing right into their worst fears. A young punk with a gun! THAT SCARES THEM TO NO END! Whether you think it is right or wrong really does not matter. You simply have to face the fact that you are going to run into some perception problems.

Let me conclude by just encouraging you to continue carrying...but be respectful and courteous to folks. Obviously as time goes on the places that you frequent often will grow used to seeing you...and know that you are responsible. Even I have experienced this in business establishments that I go to on a regular basis. People just need time to get to know you and know that you are okay.

Hope my two cents worth has been helpful. This is why I love these forums...many minds give you a wide range of perspectives on any topic/issue!!! I have enjoyed everyone's inputs on this topic. My thanks to all of you for helping out our younger folks!!!

LEO 229

imported post

I never really thought of it that way but is does fit.

Many will think that they should be, by default of age 18, permitted to carry without question and it is their right under the second amendment.

While this is true and you are able to carry at age 18, state laws permitting, it does not mean that you have earned the trust of the people around you that have been alive much longer.

Trust and respect is not something given to you... you have to earn it!!

Being polite is a way to achieve both. Even when the soccer mom is berating you and accusing you of shortcomings elsewhere.... :p

LEO 229

imported post

gutshot wrote:
Just as in almost all of LEO229's posts he wants to enforce his opinion not the law.
His opinion seems to always be more restrictive than the law.

How am I "enforcing my opinion" ?? I am presenting it and there is no possible way to enforce it. Either you agree or you do not. Makes no difference to me.

I have higher standards and expectations of others. I expect the best out of people but I know most are lazy and do the minimum to get by.

They no longer have honor, integrity, respect, or care for their fellow man.

It has become a society of "What's in it for me?"

LEO 229

imported post

gutshot wrote:
Please don't use quotes unless you are using my exact words. I said you “want to enforce” not that you were actually doing it. ”honor, integrity, respect, or care“ are hard to define. Your definition may be much different than mine. I suspect it would be. Rights belong to all of us, the brave, the coward, the righteous, the base. The lesser of use needs them the most. You should not be the arbiter of anyones access to rights. They belong to all of us, not just your elite.
It is clear you wanted to convey... that I am trying to enforce an opinion. :lol:

Whether I am wanting to or actually doing it... how could I? There is no way you can "enforce" such a thing.

I, like everyone else here, have and will post an opinion. Get over it!

Do not confuse "rights" with honor, integrity, respect, or care for their fellow man. And I am not blocking access to people doing any of them. These items do not "belong" to you either. They are character traits we should all have.

Americans today have been losing them. Many Americans are becoming lazy and fat.

Again... many have the "What's in it for me" attitude.

This has nothing to do with being elite.

LEO 229

imported post

gutshot wrote:
Most can't enforce an opinion or anything else. But some try to enforce there own version of what they think the law should be. No, it doesn't have anything to do with being elite. It has to do with the self appointed elite taking it upon themselves to decide what rights the non-elite should have. The law says 18 is the age to possess a handgun. You say you've see 18yr. olds who you would not trust with a gun. Hell, I've seen 50yr. old men I wouldn't want to be around if they had a gun. I just put some space between them and me. Is there potential for an accident, sure. 100 accidents do not excuse 1 violation of a free mans rights. It doesn't matter what either of us think. The law says it's ok. End of story.

You say "most" can't meaning... some can.

Again... HOW can you enforce an opinion on the Internet?

One can express it and stick to it.... but this in not enforcement. :p

Jshu

imported post

I'm 21, I get the looks and occasional comments. I don't smoke, but I have the ability to. That doesn't mean I bug people who smoke. It's a choice. I choose to use my eyes and ears about three to four times as much as I will open my mouth. Stay respectful and mind your P's and Q's and most folks don't have an issue. I have yet to see another young OC'er like myself. Watching people on this site go back and forth over seemingly nothing makes me wonder why you all are worried about us.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Jshu wrote:
I'm 21, I get the looks and occasional comments. I don't smoke, but I have the ability to. That doesn't mean I bug people who smoke. It's a choice. I choose to use my eyes and ears about three to four times as much as I will open my mouth. Stay respectful and mind your P's and Q's and most folks don't have an issue. I have yet to see another young OC'er like myself. Watching people on this site go back and forth over seemingly nothing makes me wonder why you all are worried about us.
The only good thing I ever found about getting old....is I can tell them to F Off now.:)

essayons

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Jshu wrote:
The only good thing I ever found about getting old....is I can tell them to F Off now.:)
You have to wait until you are old to tell people that?

darthmord

imported post

gutshot wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
I never really thought of it that way but is does fit.

Many will think that they should be, by default of age 18, permitted to carry without question and it is their right under the second amendment.

While this is true and you are able to carry at age 18, state laws permitting, it does not mean that you have earned the trust of the people around you that have been alive much longer.

Trust and respect is not something given to you... you have to earn it!!

Being polite is a way to achieve both. Even when the soccer mom is berating you and accusing you of shortcomings elsewhere.... :p

Just as in almost all of LEO229's posts he wants to enforce his opinion not the law.
His opinion seems to always be more restrictive than the law.

You may want to give it a rest. LEO in this case was NOT trying to enforce anything. You are reading into his comments far more than what was in them. You are seeing what you want to see, not what is there.

He was merely giving sage advice... the very same advice I received from my grandfather on the same subject (trust & respect) over 30 years ago. They aren't given. They are earned through effort, accomplishments, and deeds. You don't get them for being the best, brightest, the smartest, etc.

Actions speak louder than words. Think chivalry from the middle ages. To be deemed chivalrous, one had to exemplify honor, courage, dignity, honesty, grace, and a willingness to do what was right even in the face of insurmountable odds or when you wished to do otherwise.

Funnily enough, that sounds a lot like much of the advice given on this forum regarding good OC.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

essayons wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Jshu wrote:

Yep, but it doesn't have the same impact anymore.
They say, "did you hear what that old fellow said? Isn't he cute"":X

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
essayons wrote:
Yep, but it doesn't have the same impact anymore.
They say, "did you hear what that old fellow said? Isn't he cute"":X
Peter Nap may be a lot of things but cute ain't one of 'em. :p

Yata hey

LEO 229

imported post

gutshot wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
gutshot wrote:
Most can't enforce an opinion or anything else. But some try to enforce there own version of what they think the law should be. No, it doesn't have anything to do with being elite. It has to do with the self appointed elite taking it upon themselves to decide what rights the non-elite should have. The law says 18 is the age to possess a handgun. You say you've see 18yr. olds who you would not trust with a gun. Hell, I've seen 50yr. old men I wouldn't want to be around if they had a gun. I just put some space between them and me. Is there potential for an accident, sure. 100 accidents do not excuse 1 violation of a free mans rights. It doesn't matter what either of us think. The law says it's ok. End of story.

You say "most" can't meaning... some can.

Again... HOW can you enforce an opinion on the Internet?

One can express it and stick to it.... but this in not enforcement. :p

I'm not talking about on the internet. I'm talking about on the street were citizens rights are abused every day by over zealous, uninformed criminals with a badge.
Are you implying that I am a criminal?

It seems that you are confused where you are having a discussion. We happen to be on the internet. Even in public I cannot enforce my opinion. I may provide it to you if I think you could use some guidance. You clearly do not have to act on it.

Often times, people give their opinions on a topic to help others. I am not sure what opinions you have heard me say to the public but I can assure you none involved anything with disarming yourself or throw away your guns. :lol:

I have often told others they SHOULDarm themselves and maybe get a CC permit. I am not sure of the rumors you have been told.. but I am not the over zealous cop you want me to be.

acrimsontide

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
"why it's OK for you to die for them overseas but not OK for you to protect yourself and your family here in the USA."

Let's be honest people.... Just because you are 21 and in the military does not mean you good at decision making.

Nor does being in the military mean that you are familiar with all firearms. I work part time in a gun shop in a military town and some of the soldiers honestly don't know squat about handguns. I have had young soldiers come in to look at hand guns who absolutely nothing about them. Now these same young soldiers could probably break down and put back together an M4 with their eyes closed but are not familiar with handguns at all and if they chose to carry a handgun should definitely have training. I am a Vietnam vet and all for rights for those in the military, but wearing a uniform does not automatically prepare someone to carry a firearm, nor does a civilian reaching 21 make them automatically prepared. Concealed carry or open carry of a firearm in the USA is far different with different "rules of engagement" than a soldier with an issued M4 on a battlefield. Decision making in combat unit is far different than the decision making required when carrying a handgun in a civilial environment in the USA. Sorry but even as a veteran, I can't buy the argument of being someone being responsible enough to carry a firearm just because someone is in the military.

And before someone thinks I am forcing an opinion, I am not. This is just MY opinion.

nova

imported post

Like it or not, at age 18 I can possess and open carry a handgun. I don't need anyone's permission or approval to do so, nor do I need anyone's respect. I don't need to serve in the armed forces in order to gain any rights or privileges like that is necessary in other nations.

Read the Declaration of Independence. The constitution nor anything else on this planet gave me my rights, I was born with them, as we all were. I have not done anything to cause my rights to be taken away through due process.

I respect people who respect me. If people judge me due to my age then that's their problem.

I treat everyone I meet with kindness, if they treat me like crap then I'll return the favor. :)

VApatriot

imported post

Well, I'm 20, and I've been opencarrying since I turned 18. I've only hand one really negative encounter in that time, and I don't think it had anything to do with my age. I was asked to disarm at a bowling ally, becausethe sight of my gunwas "making people nervous". To contrast that, the most positive comment I have ever had was from a man who was probablyin his60s. After heinquired aboutthe legality of what I was doing (OCing), I brieflyexplainedVirginia's carry laws, andhe said that he thought it was "just great" that I was allowed to open carry without any kind ofpermit.