• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

cop kills double amputee in wheelchair

twoskinsonemanns

What folks aren't realizing about this is that it could very easily have been a needle, and needles often contain HIV, which is deadly.

This is utter non-sense. It could have been....

Do you listen to yourself when you talk or do you just fade in and out?

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
This is utter non-sense. It could have been....

Do you listen to yourself when you talk or do you just fade in and out?

I think what since9 is trying to say is: it's not the cops job to try to know exactly what he's being stabbed with within that split second. If all he knows in that split second is that he is being stabbed he needs to stop the threat. Since9 is trying to point out that it could have been a variety of deadly things. If not a knife - a needle, syringe, a pen (which I say is fair game), or any sharp object.

Guys, the guy tried to stab a cop (according to reports), you play stupid games and you win stupid prizes.

Deanimator

I think what since9 is trying to say is: it's not the cops job to try to know exactly what he's being stabbed with within that split second. If all he knows in that split second is that he is being stabbed he needs to stop the threat. Since9 is trying to point out that it could have been a variety of deadly things. If not a knife - a needle, syringe, a pen (which I say is fair game), or any sharp object.

Guys, the guy tried to stab a cop (according to reports), you play stupid games and you win stupid prizes.
Right.

It could have been a sonic screwdriver.

He could have been a Dalek...

Fuller Malarkey

The unnamed Houston police spokesperson said later Sunday that Marin himself was not cornered, unlike his partner, when he shot the wheelchair-bound man in the head.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/23/us/texas-amputee-shooting/index.html

According to investigators, Claunch was shot once and he died at the scene.

Two days earlier, Garcia gave Claunch a black felt pen to draw.

$(KGrHqR,!qwE+nTwyO3OBQEp31cKdw~~60_35.JPG

I'm thinking my version of "pen" is closer to reality than the exaggerated "sticker" of Scitzy's....

"Emotionally disturbed individuals, when threatened, are going to react in most instances, excessively," Dr. Ed Reitman, a clinical psychologist, told KRTK.
"This was an incident that didn't have to take place if the individual -- a police officer -- had been trained in dealing with emotionally disturbed individuals."

Golly, someone else that wasn't there that dare make an observation. Shear anarchy.

Attachments

• 230716181.jpg
    230716181.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 30

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Shear anarchy.

Oh, cool. I always love anarchy involving scissors! Especially in a thread where there might be schizophrenia (scissor personality). :p:)

Of course, I also have to appreciate that it was not a reference to anarchy involving thin curtains--sheers. Otherwise I would have no joke. :p:p:)

Last edited:

REALteach4u

The offending LEO should be treated like a criminal, no paid leave, no union lawyer, just like the citizen charged with murder or manslaughter. The two of them merely need to toss this guy out of his chair and subdue him. Why didn't they use a pepper spray or a Taser? It would have been justified after all.

OC for ME

Oddly convenient that the only sane person in the house that night was ordered to stay outside. I also like how the cops interviewed the two remaining residents who are likely just as looney as the perp.

It would be very pleasing if the family of this dude, if any, gets to own a large chunk of Houston.

Note to self.....do not go to Houston.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
The offending LEO should be treated like a criminal, no paid leave, no union lawyer, just like the citizen charged with murder or manslaughter. The two of them merely need to toss this guy out of his chair and subdue him. Why didn't they use a pepper spray or a Taser? It would have been justified after all.

>someone is trying to stab you or your friend
>respond with less than lethal force

^that makes sense to you? just how old are you - and how did you manage to survive this long?

twoskinsonemanns

^that makes sense to you? just how old are you - and how did you manage to survive this long?

Damn Schlitz. I can understand people giving cops the benefit of the doubt but you seem to be willing to really haze over details, and make straw-man arguments in order to convince yourself of this one.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Damn Schlitz. I can understand people giving cops the benefit of the doubt but you seem to be willing to really haze over details, and make straw-man arguments in order to convince yourself of this one.

Really? Because it appears that everyone in here is hazing over the most important detail - the guy was allegedly trying to stab the cop. o_O

Fuller Malarkey

Really? Because it appears that everyone in here is hazing over the most important detail - the guy was allegedly trying to stab the cop. o_O

Nobody missed that allegation.

And few missed the fact deadly force was far from the first or only response available to the police.

You'll need to raise the hook and bait. The sporting fish are up a ways off the bottom.

twoskinsonemanns

Schlitz just out of curiosity do you think the cop had to shoot this handicapped man in order to save himself?
Or could it possibly be a simple equation in the cops head.... Aggressive motions = Chance to shoot citizen
Actual danger to cop or ability of citizen to cause injury doesn't matter.

DocWalker

Everyone needs to be really careful when handing over your license and registration next time you are pulled over. You might get shot as the officer could be in fear of a paper cut that could get infected, that could send him into shock, that could kill him.

OC for ME

Schlitz, don't worry about it, the cop busted a cap in a crazy dude, no big deal. The cop will be fine after his three day paid vacation. After al, it was all that long ago that he busted a cap in a dude.

Both cops are sure to have their stories straight considering one of them don't have any problem with bustin a cap in a dude.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Nobody missed that allegation.

And few missed the fact deadly force was far from the first or only response available to the police.
Have any of you been through any kind of self defense training at all? You don't meet lethal force with less than lethal force - unless you don't care about going home that day. The cop had all kinds of options, he could have been an idiot and tried to pepper spray someone who was "making threats while trying to stab the officer with the pen." Instead, he met what he felt was lethal force with lethal force.

Schlitz just out of curiosity do you think the cop had to shoot this handicapped man in order to save himself?
Or could it possibly be a simple equation in the cops head.... Aggressive motions = Chance to shoot citizen
Actual danger to cop or ability of citizen to cause injury doesn't matter.
Do you think cops actually are out to "shoot citizens?" Do you honestly believe that?

Everyone needs to be really careful when handing over your license and registration next time you are pulled over. You might get shot as the officer could be in fear of a paper cut that could get infected, that could send him into shock, that could kill him.
You're comparing handing your license over to a cop to making threats and attempting to stab a cop?

Since9 is on to something. You guys are getting ridiculous.

The article says they were in close quarters and a mentally ill amputee tried stabbing a police officer while apparently making threats - btw he was the reason of the call in the first place. If the only information we have to argue about is in that article - then wtf is there to argue? Given the information this was a defensive homicide.

This thread makes me want to wash my hands of this place. You guys weren't in their shoes, you don't know the lay out of the building, who was standing where at what time and all that jazz, you sound crazy calling this a bad shoot.

cptstoney

alright the whole he has one leg and one and and is in a wheelchair argument is stupid. i have been servicing and building power and manual wheelchairs for the last 6 years. i have had 9 year olds come close to knocking me out(i'm 6'1" 220lbs, i'm no featherweight). just because they are in a chair doesn't mean the are weak and defenseless. i have been run over and chased around clasrooms by kids and adults(in group homes) because they didn't like me or didn't want to be taken out of their chair. you learn to adapt real quick when an ampendage is removed, and the majority of the time the remain parts become stronger then before.

and i'm gonna agree with the other dude from page one, if we lived life according to the "rules and opinions" this forum comes up with the ALL COPS would be criminals and the users here would be the only good guys in the world...................

()pen(arry

This thread makes me want to wash my hands of this place. You guys weren't in their shoes, you don't know the lay out of the building, who was standing where at what time and all that jazz, you sound crazy calling this a bad shoot.

Without defending any posts that assume anything, I can explain very simply what the source of the outrage is. This cop is receiving benefit of the doubt not only that isn't deserved, not only that is far above and beyond what a non-cop would get, but also is routine to the point of ubiquity for cops. The outrage is that, yet again, there is the assumption, particularly by other cops, that this cop was justified, not merely at all, but even when the situation looks so questionable. You may criticize others for leaping to hasty conclusions; how much more damnable the police chief who has already cleared his officer of any wrong-doing? We have been taught by the police for decades that these investigations take months to complete. Why is he already so certain of the conclusion?

The problem is that our nation is founded on the principle that government must be held in perpetual skepticism, never trusted by default. In spite of this, even well-meaning folk are wholly credulous with regard to police. This is wrong. Any American's first response to this story should be, and nothing more or less, "This sounds damned fishy. There had better be a full, credible, and transparent investigation by qualified and disinterested parties." Of course, that is not the response of the majority of Americans, whence the outrage.

Fuller Malarkey

Have any of you been through any kind of self defense training at all? You don't meet lethal force with less than lethal force - unless you don't care about going home that day. The cop had all kinds of options, he could have been an idiot and tried to pepper spray someone who was "making threats while trying to stab the officer with the pen." Instead, he met what he felt was lethal force with lethal force.

Do you think cops actually are out to "shoot citizens?" Do you honestly believe that?

You're comparing handing your license over to a cop to making threats and attempting to stab a cop?

Since9 is on to something. You guys are getting ridiculous.

The article says they were in close quarters and a mentally ill amputee tried stabbing a police officer while apparently making threats - btw he was the reason of the call in the first place. If the only information we have to argue about is in that article - then wtf is there to argue? Given the information this was a defensive homicide.

When dots get connected where a picture begins to form, it's hard to ignore the possibilities. This cop, Marin, 29, fatally shot a knife-wielding man in October 2009. That suspect had killed a neighbor and injured his girlfriend when Marin fired at him.

There was another incident prior to that.

"Going to meet Jesus"

Yep. Anyone remember the father of Green Bay Packers wide receiver Donald Driver?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...n/index.html?eref=si_topstories#ixzz27Pvi3vnG

"As they beat him and forced him to swallow something, the officers told Marvin Driver Jr. he was "going to see Jesus"

One of the officers named in the arrest report is Hispanic and has a history of harassing African-Americans, Evans said.

The investigation takes into account medical information as well as statements from two independent witnesses who were present on the night of the traffic stop, and was reportedly unable to"prove or disprove" the accusations against HPD Officers B. Guzman, G. Cruz and M. Marin.

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/45745037.html

pvjnsbvqsn_102352650-2.jpg

Houston police officer Marin http://www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=19196219

1egb1v55wb_102452875-2.jpg

The above feared for his life when a mentally ill man missing his right arm and part of his right leg, confined to wheel chair, wouldn't settled down.

Where there's enough smoke, I'm looking for fire.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
The above feared for his life when a mentally ill man missing his right arm and part of his right leg, confined to wheel chair, wouldn't settled down.

The information being debated here says that the man was making threats and attempting to stab the officer with a metal object - this is the same as 'wouldn't settle down' to you?

Seminoles

I bet he had one of those super cool tactical Hinderer pens. :)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2