• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mob of bikers surround SUV and get run over in NYC

F350

Unless they conspired the most they could get prosecuted for is traffic offense unless they actually took part in the assault of the family. By either participating in the assault or actively harassing and stopping the couple. If they did not take part in the actual intimidation they cannot be charged IMHO. Maybe USER can clarify.

Did they not conspire to go on a group ride the purpose of which was to violate traffic laws and intimidate other motorists? Everything that happened as a result of that group ride should be able to be charged against all riders.

WalkingWolf

Did they not conspire to go on a group ride the purpose of which was to violate traffic laws and intimidate other motorists? Everything that happened as a result of that group ride should be able to be charged against all riders.

:lol: Good luck with that! :lol:

eye95

It would depend on the state for a cite~~which state do want a cite from? I am not sure about Ohio if they have that law, but many states do. Do you want a cite from all 50 states and the territories under the US? In that case look them up yourself, otherwise tell me which state.

New York State statute

S 195.10 Refusing to aid a peace or a police officer.
A person is guilty of refusing to aid a peace or a police officer
when, upon command by a peace or a police officer identifiable or
identified to him as such, he unreasonably fails or refuses to aid such
peace or a police officer in effecting an arrest, or in preventing the
commission by another person of any offense.
Refusing to aid a peace or a police officer is a class B misdemeanor.

If you want other states get off your lazy butt.

Why do people who make the assertion call others lazy for asking for the cite???

If you make the assertion, it is YOUR responsibility to cite, out of common courtesy and, on OCDO, by rule. So, when you make an assertion, don't YOU be lazy. Cite.

Now, to address you citation: Note the word "unreasonably." If the officer asks me to do something dangerous, screw him. I'll argue that one in court if I have to. If he says something like, "Call 911, my radio is broken," that would be reasonable.

So, yes, you can refuse to follow an instruction of an officer in that situation. Your just may have to justify your choice not to help to a judge.

Not only do we need to cite, we should try to be more precise.

Moving on.

eye95

So in Colorado not only CAN LEO "commanded" assistance it is a crime to refuse.

I know it is the same in Indiana from when I rode with a deputy sheriff buddy, we went through the ritual of him asking for my assistance each time I rode with him just so we could honestly swear in court that assistance was requested.

They can command all they want. What stick do they have if you "reasonably" refuse to follow the command?

This statute seems to be more directed at protecting the citizen asked to help, rather than to force that help.

If "commanded" to direct traffic, I will simply say, "I do not know how to do that. I am unqualified."

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Why do people who make the assertion call others lazy for asking for the cite???

If you make the assertion, it is YOUR responsibility to cite, out of common courtesy and, on OCDO, by rule. So, when you make an assertion, don't YOU be lazy. Cite.

Now, to address you citation: Note the word "unreasonably." If the officer asks me to do something dangerous, screw him. I'll argue that one in court if I have to. If he says something like, "Call 911, my radio is broken," that would be reasonable.

So, yes, you can refuse to follow an instruction of an officer in that situation. Your just may have to justify your choice not to help to a judge.

Not only do we need to cite, we should try to be more precise.

Moving on.

I made a general statement, that was some states. You called for a cite without pointing to what state. You are lazy when you pull such stunts, and you pull them a lot. Get off your buttt. You failed to be precise in your silly demand, very very foolish, but for you not surprising.

Maybe you should have "moved on" instead of making a fool of yourself.

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

The SUV driver was engaged in a SD situation and used the tools he had at the time to defend himself, his family, and his property. Parsing the mob members into criminals and non-criminals is intellectual dishonesty.

So, because I condemn the actions of all involved instead of jumping in on the lynching I am intellectually dishonest. And your OPINION is law.

Got it.

jhfc

Fourth motorcyclist arrested:

A fourth motorcyclist has been charged in connection with the beating of a motorist pulled from his car and set upon by a group of bikers in New York City.

Police say 29-year-old Craig Wright, of Brooklyn, was arrested Monday on charges of gang assault, assault and unlawful imprisonment.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57606438/another-biker-arrested-in-nyc-attack-on-suv-driver/

And the idiot instigator speaks out:

The motorcyclist accused of starting the violent New York attack by slowing down in front of the SUV says he didn't mean to start a fight.

Christopher Cruz spoke to ABC News reporter Dan Harris on Monday's episode of "Good Morning America." The 28-year-old said he does not feel responsible for the bloody attack.

"I never had intentions to slow him down or cause any type of problems," Cruz told Harris in his first sit-down interview. "I don't think I feel responsible."

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/national_world&id=9277815

Coming to a virtual stop is not having the intention to slow him down?

eye95

The officers will never be charged. Also now their is speculation that off duty corrections officers were present also. Could this be a gang of mostly off duty NYPD and corrections officers? Still no charges will be brought.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...kers-involved-Edwin-Mieses-Jr-SUV-attack.html

Wrong.

The officers will probably be charged or not charged according to how the other members of the MOB were charged or not charged. If others in the MOB (who did not behave significantly differently from the cops) are charged and the cops are not, then you might have a point. Otherwise you don't and you are participating in mindless speculation and/or cop-bashing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Right.

Fallschirjmäger

New York State statute
S 195.10 Refusing to aid a peace or a police officer.

A person is guilty of refusing to aid a peace or a police officer when, upon command by a peace or a police officer identifiable or identified to him as such, he unreasonably fails or refuses to aid such peace or a police officer in effecting an arrest, or in preventing the commission by another person of any offense.
C.R.S. 18-8-107 (2013)
18-8-107. Refusing to aid a peace officer

A person, eighteen years of age or older, commits a class 1 petty offense (just under a felony) when, upon command by a person known to him to be a peace officer, he unreasonably refuses or fails to aid the peace officer in effecting or securing an arrest or preventing the commission by another of any offense.

The key point is going to be "reasonableness."
"Mr. Citizen, you were commanded by Officer Adam, while he was in uniform and identifiably a police officer, to assist him in apprehending Mr. "Baby Face" Nelson and refused to aid him. The state has charged you with refusing to aid a police officer. Is there anything you'd like to say on your behalf?"

"Yes, Sir, Officer Adam commanded me to do a head-on assault of Mr. Nelson's reinforced hideout which was protected by six of his goons all armed with machine guns. Officer Adam had a baton, chemical spray, an electro-discharge weapon, and his service-issued Glock in .40 caliber with 3 additional magazines. And he was wearing body armor. I was armed with yesterday's newspaper and a rubber duck I had purchased for my daughter. I thought it unreasonable for him to command me to do something he was not willing to do himself."

Last edited:

eye95

+1

Key word being "reasonable." It is amazing how some folks around here only ascribe omnipotency to LEOs when it suits their argument.

eye95

Certainly not a troll from Connecticut.

However, I care about this story. I love to see folks stand up for themselves against thugs and to see those thugs get their comeuppance--even if it means that they end up paralyzed or dead.

S&W500

we don't know what happened before that. even if someone brake checks you, you're not allowed to run them over (last time i checked anyway)[/QUOo

If a mob/group of bikers, moped riders, ninjas or nuns seemingly threatin me and my family while going from point a to point b i will run over anyone who gets in the way regardless of laws....who wouldnt try to protect thier family if they felt threatend....and who here can actually give the intent or thoughts going on in anyones head involved in the situation...tje guy may have felt threatend/frightend. I would have too.

WalkingWolf

If a mob/group of bikers, moped riders, ninjas or nuns seemingly threatin me and my family while going from point a to point b i will run over anyone who gets in the way regardless of laws....who wouldnt try to protect thier family if they felt threatend....and who here can actually give the intent or thoughts going on in anyones head involved in the situation...tje guy may have felt threatend/frightend. I would have too.

+1~~ I will run over the Pope to protect my family, but then the catholic church does not have a unorganized, violent, dangerous biker gang/mob.

Last edited: