• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police seek charges against gun carrier with permit pending

MKEgal

protias said:
I'll lay odds that she can shoot better than MPD.
Gee, kill a few zombies, get a reputation... :lol:
a) it's all a matter of practice
b) in order to shoot, I'd have to possess

If you need someone to help you show people how to handle firearms, you have my contact info.
Thanks for the offer. I appreciate it.
As classes get scheduled I'll see if you're available.

Baked on Grease

A couple news videos. How many errors can you find (written & spoken)?

WTMJ (NBC)
"Sutterfield told an officer she was not carrying a concealed weapon. But, the officer insists she could see 'the black handle of a handgun' tucked beneath Sutterfield's coat."

WDJT (CBS)
"Police Officers stopped and questioned her since it was after hours, they then arrested her when they noticed she had a holstered gun."
"was arrested before concealed carry was legal in Wisconsin"
"It's a class A felony that carries up to nine months in jail."

So they saw the handle of a gun under your coat... Um what? Only way I can see this being true is if ... Well one you'd have to actually be CC at the time, but two also carry crossdraw and had the coat open in front... Doesn't sound fishy at all to me... Do you carry the gun upside down by chance?

I am sorry, no need to comment further MKEgal... Let the police dig their hole.

Sent using tapatalk

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Just donated what was sitting in my pay pal. Every penny counts right?

sent from my phone, excuse my grammar/spelling errors

apjonas

Of Particular Significance

Class A Felony Misdemeanor

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I have contacted the NRA-ILA about the case. Lets hope they act.

the NRA seems very 'pro-police.' Are there any other cases of them going up against a police officers decision? especially on something they don't seem to care about? (open carry)

oak1971

the NRA seems very 'pro-police.' Are there any other cases of them going up against a police officers decision? especially on something they don't seem to care about? (open carry)

They have the resources and hopefully the inclination. This isn't an anti police thing, its about changing the police response to reflect the new reality about carry. Establishing new case law is one way to address the apparent lack of understanding by some officers and departments that things have changed.

Packfanatic

Does not matter

the NRA seems very 'pro-police.' Are there any other cases of them going up against a police officers decision? especially on something they don't seem to care about? (open carry)[/QUOTE]

Well I would hope the NRA cares about the entire 2nd amendment. I can not understand why they would not support our rights no matter if we CC or OC?

Cobra469

Thanks for the offer. I appreciate it.
As classes get scheduled I'll see if you're available.

I am available as well. As you know I have taken my NRA Basic Pistol and Personal Protection Inside The Home instructor courses. Just waiting on the cert to show up in the mail.

DocWalker

"Milwaukee police found Sutterfield parked outside the Sherman Perk coffee house after hours. According to a criminal complaint, Sutterfield told an officer she was not carrying a concealed weapon. But, the officer insists she could see 'the black handle of a handgun' tucked beneath Sutterfield's coat."

I say it again if the officer could see it then it wasn't concealed.......

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I say it again if the officer could see it then it wasn't concealed.
Concealed is defined in Wisconsin case law stare decisis. It is sufficient to be concealed to not be visible on an enforcers approach to the vehicle, also established in Wisconsin case law stare decisis.

DocWalker

Concealed is defined in Wisconsin case law stare decisis. It is sufficient to be concealed to not be visible on an enforcers approach to the vehicle, also established in Wisconsin case law stare decisis.

This is great, cops in Wisconsin don't have to have RAS and can just make things up by telling the court "it must be concealed I didn't see it right away". Maybe everyone in Wisconsin should have to paint their entire gun floresint orange so the cops without perfect vision can spot them from more than 3 feet away. Sorry this is so stupid my sarcasim button got stuck.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

This is great, cops in Wisconsin don't have to have RAS and can just make things up by telling the court "it must be concealed I didn't see it right away".
That's not how the law works - anywhere.

The courts have told the enforcers that RAS is not required for a concealed weapon. There are two cases in Wisconsin; a legally concealed weapon requires that the licensed actor has surrendered his 4th and 5th Amendment rights as a condition of licensing, and, in the case of an illegally concealed weapon, that is the crime, ongoing, completed or intended, suspicion of which is reasonable and articulable.

DocWalker

That's not how the law works - anywhere.

The courts have told the enforcers that RAS is not required for a concealed weapon. There are two cases in Wisconsin; a legally concealed weapon requires that the licensed actor has surrendered his 4th and 5th Amendment rights as a condition of licensing, and, in the case of an illegally concealed weapon, that is the crime, ongoing, completed or intended, suspicion of which is reasonable and articulable.

What was the RAS for approaching her in the first place other than it was late and she was in her car in a parking lot? I didn't know Wisconsin had laws about being in you parked car at night.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

What was the RAS for approaching her in the first place other than it was late and she was in her car in a parking lot? I didn't know Wisconsin had laws about being in you parked car at night.
RAS is required for non-consensual 'conversation'/interrogation/ custody et cetera, and not to merely approach the vehicle to NOT see the weapon.

And you are being argumentative and I am done with you.

MKEgal

Cobra469 said:
I am available as well.
:: sniffle ::
You guys...
Thanks.
When I'm getting classes scheduled, I'll call one or both of you to be my hands.
Would be good to have a second person to make the "show me how to safely unload" section go faster.