• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SHOCKING AUDIO: Philadelphia Police violate rights of open carrier at gunpoint

Curmudgeon

Medic1210

Wow, after listening to that video, I felt literally sick to my stomach. I can only imagine how this would have gone down had Mark not been able to record this interaction. Also makes you wonder how many similar cases of verbal abuse and threats go unchecked because nobody is around to record it. What surprises me is that he was actually "allowed" to continue recording the whole thing. By that, I mean, it sounded like an officer found the recording device, so I'm surprised it didn't "accidentally" get dropped and broken (stepped on), or at a bare minimum, turned off. I wonder if the dash cam footage was ever requested via FOIA request, and if so, did that ever make youtube? I'm glad this turned out for the good, but I can only imagine how negatively my life would be affected if something like this happened to me while open carrying. I just hope if I'm ever stopped, I have time to turn on my phone, or iPod's voice memo recorder.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Wow, after listening to that video, I felt literally sick to my stomach. I can only imagine how this would have gone down had Mark not been able to record this interaction. Also makes you wonder how many similar cases of verbal abuse and threats go unchecked because nobody is around to record it. What surprises me is that he was actually "allowed" to continue recording the whole thing. By that, I mean, it sounded like an officer found the recording device, so I'm surprised it didn't "accidentally" get dropped and broken (stepped on), or at a bare minimum, turned off. I wonder if the dash cam footage was ever requested via FOIA request, and if so, did that ever make youtube? I'm glad this turned out for the good, but I can only imagine how negatively my life would be affected if something like this happened to me while open carrying. I just hope if I'm ever stopped, I have time to turn on my phone, or iPod's voice memo recorder.

There are many things that may prevent having time to turn on a recording device. That is why my separate, stand alone digital recorder is turn on before I leave the house and remains so until I return home. Excellent digital recorders are available with sufficient recording time and battery life for a reasonable price - and files are downloadable.

These are very useful to capture/preserve conversations with errant officers, rude or misinformed store employees or G-d forbid if the SHTF. One such situation will than justify the small added expense - mine has earned its keep.

Medic1210

Any suggestions on a quality recorder I should consider? Where do you carry yours, and how clearly does it capture sounds where you keep it? For obvious reasons, I don't want to have to reach into a pocket to retrieve it for adequate recording when a cop is stopping me...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Any suggestions on a quality recorder I should consider? Where do you carry yours, and how clearly does it capture sounds where you keep it? For obvious reasons, I don't want to have to reach into a pocket to retrieve it for adequate recording when a cop is stopping me...

There are many good ones out there.

I personally carry a Sony ICD-PX312 2GB Expandable Digital Voice IC Recorder in my shirt pocket - available under $60.00 Sound pick up is fantastic and it has a noise filter. It will hold over 500 hours of recording, will download direct to computer, found hybrid rechargeables are the best - have 2 sets of batteries and change them every other day. Been carrying this one for over a year w/o the first problem
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ICD-PX312-Expandable-Recorder-Capabilities/dp/B004QJ6ZV4

Thors_Mitersaw

I dunno if this has been suggested or not but http://qik.com/ is pretty useful. Especially as it will prevent bacon bits from erasing anything. Qik uploads the recording, storing it on the net. Useful if you have a smart phone. It is for video, yes, but its not like it disables the audio.