• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Budget bill

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
But they want to keep collective bargaining. So the next time they "negotiate" salaries with the govt via collective bargaining, what's to stop them from holding our feet to the fire and demanding a pay increase to offset their retirement and health insurance changes?

Actually I have been following this quite closely , Dah ! that was sarcasm...50k a year for those stats is way too high.

Citations please ???? I have better things to do that scour the internet , those numbers were just broadcast on one of the Conservative talk radio shows last week. I am sure they have all the citations you need.

1FASTC4

Actually I have been following this quite closely , Dah ! that was sarcasm...50k a year for those stats is way too high.

Citations please ???? I have better things to do that scour the internet , those numbers were just broadcast on one of the Conservative talk radio shows last week. I am sure they have all the citations you need.

Forgive me for being obtuse... I'm not sure what your asking. I never mentioned anything about 50K nor challenged anyone for a citation regarding 50K. I apologize for not understanding.

oak1971

Got it, thanks. That 3.8 is in regards to the total school budget, not just salaries though. In other words, the teachers could bully the govt into giving them raises that equal the 3.8% increase in the overall budget, not just a 3.8 % raise.

The way I read it is pay and benefits cap at 3.8.

phred

Teachers, when you factor in the FREE Health care & Pension..they are making upwards of $ 50,000.00 a year + They can start paying their end. What are they going to start teaching our kids less if they have to pay more ? Wisconsin is already like 40 out of 50 for low test scores...

ok, Citation/source please! - oh, I'll do it for you.

There are 22 states that have 1/3 or more of their students who voluntarily take the 2010 ACT. Of these states, according to the Education Commission of States (ECS), 7 do not have a policy that allows collective bargaining, Here is their ranking out of 22
11 Missouri
14 Texas
15 Georgia
17 West Virginia
18 Alabama
19 Arkansas
21 South Carolina

When using the same criteria with 2010 SAT scores, 23 state make up the list. Of these Texas, Georgia and South Carolina rank in the bottom 5 with Georgia and South Carolina ranked last.

btw, Wisconsin Ranks 3rd

Since the NCLB Act, testing has been left up to the states so there is no National Test. However the ACT and SAT are administered nationally.

So, let's not throw what you think is going on. Back it up!

Conclusion? Good teachers are worth the extra. Treat them as such.

Read more if you want to learn.

http://www.commonwealthfoundation.org/policyblog/detail/2010-sat-scores-by-state

http://www.ohe.state.mn.us/mPg.cfm?pageID=1439

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
ok, Citation/source please! - oh, I'll do it for you.

There are 22 states that have 1/3 or more of their students who voluntarily take the 2010 ACT. Of these states, according to the Education Commission of States (ECS), 7 do not have a policy that allows collective bargaining, Here is their ranking out of 22
11 Missouri
14 Texas
15 Georgia
17 West Virginia
18 Alabama
19 Arkansas
21 South Carolina

When using the same criteria with 2010 SAT scores, 23 state make up the list. Of these Texas, Georgia and South Carolina rank in the bottom 5 with Georgia and South Carolina ranked last.

btw, Wisconsin Ranks 3rd

Since the NCLB Act, testing has been left up to the states so there is no National Test. However the ACT and SAT are administered nationally.

So, let's not throw what you think is going on. Back it up!

Conclusion? Good teachers are worth the extra. Treat them as such.

Read more if you want to learn.

http://www.commonwealthfoundation.org/policyblog/detail/2010-sat-scores-by-state

http://www.ohe.state.mn.us/mPg.cfm?pageID=1439

NOT WITH MY TAX dollars they are not ! I don't have kids, WHY THE FUK should My tax bucks go to pay GROSSLY OVER PAID, over pensioned over Benefited Teachers that get 3 months off a year ???? Either you support Walker, Fiscal responsibility & CCW or your with the Libs - Spend , spend, spend, plus no CCW in your lifetime.....take your pick. Time to pick a side...the middle of the road is the worst place to drive.

I was not talking voluntary ACT scores that single out a minority of the student population, I was referring to education over all of all grades. dig up those stats ..if what I posted in an earlier post is wrong..well I was just relaying what I was listening to on National Talk radio.

Last edited:

phred

NOT WITH MY TAX dollars they are not ! I don't have kids, WHY THE FUK should My tax bucks go to pay GROSSLY OVER PAID, over pensioned over Benefited Teachers that get 3 months off a year ???? Either you support Walker, Fiscal responsibility & CCW or your with the Libs - Spend , spend, spend, plus no CCW in your lifetime.....take your pick. Time to pick a side...the middle of the road is the worst place to drive.

Well, I'm gonna guess 20 - 30 years ago, some taxpayers paid into the "fund" for your education. That's what "communities" do. I really don't need "police protection" where I live, but I pay for it all the same.

So nice of you to define the "sides".

I will "drive" wherever I please on this and on any issue.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Well, I'm gonna guess 20 - 30 years ago, some taxpayers paid into the "fund" for your education. That's what "communities" do. I really don't need "police protection" where I live, but I pay for it all the same.

YOU GUESSED WRONG AGAIN... I went to a private school..not Tax payer funded. I don't require police protection either..if fact I would not be sad if the Governor Cut the local PD's Budgets by 99% think of the Tax moola everyone would save, besides the cops are only a phone call & 5 minutes away when they are needed SO they are USELESS ! Chaos is to be feared by the unarmed & I don't quality.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
from the AR15.com wisconsin forum ....Teachers get paid way too much by the tax payer

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=21&t=443121

Go here -> http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/dataondemand/33534649.html and enter your school, or school district, click on "all" (need not enter a name, unless you want to) and all the teachers at that school or district comes up. Lists their salary and fringe benefits for the 2009-2010 school year.

FWIW... I'm in Vilas County. Small population, lower than average income levels, higher unemployment, than most of southern WI. The lowest paid teacher in my school district - who just happens to be my grandson's kindergarten teacher, and she IS a good teacher, not knocking her in any way... but she makes $58,764 in salary and another $11,505 in benefits. She's only been teaching for 1 or 2 years, so her benefit package is lower than all the other teachers. Total compensation is $70,269. For a 190 day work year, that breaks down to $369.37 per day (and her "day" is limited, by contract to 7, not 8, hours). That's $52.77 per hour, starting pay.

The highest paid "teacher" (excluding district administrator and principals) makes $70,238 in salary, and benefits of $32,216. Total compensation of $102,454. Again, 190 day work year = $529.23 per day, or $75.60 per hour.

The 4 principals in my district each make $85,000 in salary, and $36-38,000 in benefits. District administrator makes a salary of $118,101 with $44,379 in benefits.

Last edited:

AaronS

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=21&t=443121

Go here -> http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/dataondemand/33534649.html and enter your school, or school district, click on "all" (need not enter a name, unless you want to) and all the teachers at that school or district comes up. Lists their salary and fringe benefits for the 2009-2010 school year.

FWIW... I'm in Vilas County. Small population, lower than average income levels, higher unemployment, than most of southern WI. The lowest paid teacher in my school district - who just happens to be my grandson's kindergarten teacher, and she IS a good teacher, not knocking her in any way... but she makes $58,764 in salary and another $11,505 in benefits. She's only been teaching for 1 or 2 years, so her benefit package is lower than all the other teachers. Total compensation is $70,269. For a 190 day work year, that breaks down to $369.37 per day (and her "day" is limited, by contract to 7, not 8, hours). That's $52.77 per hour, starting pay.

The highest paid "teacher" (excluding district administrator and principals) makes $70,238 in salary, and benefits of $32,216. Total compensation of $102,454. Again, 190 day work year = $529.23 per day, or $75.60 per hour.

The 4 principals in my district each make $85,000 in salary, and $36-38,000 in benefits. District administrator makes a salary of $118,101 with $44,379 in benefits.

Thanks for the link. It sure is sad to see what the teachers make FOR REAL. I think after looking at this, pay cuts might also be in order.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Either you support Walker, Fiscal responsibility & CCW or your with the Libs - Spend , spend, spend, plus no CCW in your lifetime.....take your pick. Time to pick a side...the middle of the road is the worst place to drive.

Wow! I'm glad you have the corner on the definition of conservative. I think you forgot abortion as well.

We need to shut this thread down. This forum is about OC specifically, not the budget.

Krusty

It just about makes me puke to see these $100,000 and higher salaries and then hear them whine about how they are being mistreated. I randomly picked a school and the results for teachers, 74K salary and 33K benefits. Maybe they ALL need to attend the School of Hard Knocks and study Finance 101! Then quite possibly they could learn to live on 30-40K a year!

anmut

Last time they used collective bargaining it tied up our law makers for 18 months. EIGHTEEN MONTHS!! Go Walker Go - bust those unions up!

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran

I was Just Listening to the Jerry Bader show ( conservative talk radio ) he Just said that on both the Drudge report & Rush limbaugh have both stated ...How poorly Wisconsin kids do on standardized tests, yet according to you Phred - you gotta pay these teachers really well to get that ..Teachers pay should be performance based.