• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

sultan62

Northerner, I haven't carried in the Lowes Foods, but I have carried in the Food Lion on 42. (Assuming you mean between Hwy 70 and Buffalo.)

Check out http://www.friendorfoe.us. I have put several locations up there, primarily in Clayton and Smithfield, with some in Garner and Knightdale. Please put anywhere you visit up there. I typically rate an experience neutral if I have no problems, and reserve positive for something specifically pro-Carry.

Last edited:

Northerner

"I have carried in the Food Lion on 42. (Assuming you mean between Hwy 70 and Buffalo.)"

Funny, I OC'd there Saturday, dropping off an Rx, but did not shop. A few weeks back I asked a female Asst. Manager if they allowed OC and she didn't believe they would allow it, but CC, she said, if it is not seen they wouldn't know. She further stated she grew up in JC and understood why I was asking.

Placed about a dozen new OC locations on Friend or Foe. I put New Jumbo China in twice, but it doesn't show up. I was also going to add my OC experience at a Subway in Goldsboro, but apparently it is too new. Both positive though.

Last edited:

nobama

Hey northerner, welcome! I just wanted to make a freindly comment. I wouldnt have asked anybody if OC was ok. I would have just done it if there were no signs. I have OCed in Lowes foods several times in K ville and never had an issue. I know the managers have noticed too. Good luck and carry on.

sultan62

I agree with wethepeople.

Remember that if you are OCing in a private establishment (other than bars, theaters, etc.) that it would be a simple trespass charge, not a weapons related charge. This is because you are breaking no law, but a store rule. If the rule has not been expressed to you (by a sign on the door or being asked not to OC there by a manager) you aren't trespassing.

Everyone has their own way of doing things, but I see no purpose to asking permission. It gives them the opportunity to say 'no,' where there is no real potential positive outcome.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
I see no purpose to asking permission. It gives them the opportunity to say 'no,' where there is no real potential positive outcome.

I concur with Sultan & Wethepeople.... The other thing that happens when you ask for permission to OC is that people automatically say no simply out of ignorance. Many people assume that "you can't do that - its illegal" and will automatically tell you that it is not permitted if you ask. I never ask for permission to carry anywhere I go. If there is no sign, and I know that it is not a place that is prohibited by law, then I carry. If someone has an issue with it, then I will be happy to discuss their hoplophobia with them when they bring it to my attention, as well as politely educate them as to the legality of my actions.

:)

Northerner

Gotcha. Thanks all for the lesson learned. The time I asked was at a time of personal ignorance to NC OC laws.

On a separate note, have any of you seen a thread on "Spousal difference of opinions" as they relate to OC? I learned something this weekend that surprised me. My wife thinks it's just a "fantasy of mine" about OC'ing in public. I have started keeping my side arm on me everywhere that's legal, but work of course. I have tried to educate her about OC laws and practices, shared the friend or foe site, but she prefers CC and supports that practice (permit pending with JC). She is highly educated (Medical) and sees the reason "we" all want to protect ourselves everyday at her work, but thinks there is "something else" going on around people that want to OC. She is not anti-gun. :question:

nobama

Yes, my wife doesnt feel comfortable when she is with me OCing. She doesnt mind cc or if I take the kids and OC. Its just her personal opinion. She thinks its showboating. I must say once in a while she will put up with it. She went to one OC dinner with me and someone was talking real loud about their rights bla bla and she wont ever go again.

chiefjason

On a separate note, have any of you seen a thread on "Spousal difference of opinions" as they relate to OC?

Here's my situation. My wife prefers I not OC with her. Even though I have done it with no issues with her, she feels like it generates "too much attention". There have been no bad experiences when we have been out, but she persists. I have my CCP also. So when I am out with her I CC. The exception to that is if we are hiking. When I'm out by myself or with the kids she does not care which way I carry. Basically OC or CC allows me to protect me and mine. So I've made a decision that OC will not be an issue in our relationship. For me it boils down to this. Yes it's my right, but I am not going to allow it to cause problems in our relationship. My wife is waiting on her CCP as we speak, so it's not an anti gun thing.

sultan62

Here's my situation. My wife prefers I not OC with her. Even though I have done it with no issues with her, she feels like it generates "too much attention". There have been no bad experiences when we have been out, but she persists. I have my CCP also. So when I am out with her I CC. The exception to that is if we are hiking. When I'm out by myself or with the kids she does not care which way I carry. Basically OC or CC allows me to protect me and mine. So I've made a decision that OC will not be an issue in our relationship. For me it boils down to this. Yes it's my right, but I am not going to allow it to cause problems in our relationship. My wife is waiting on her CCP as we speak, so it's not an anti gun thing.

Well said. I think the only way I would switch to CC rather than OC is if it makes friends/family I am with uncomfortable. Maybe not if they think I am in the wrong, because then it comes down to principle. But if it's a simple comfort thing, I'd probably go the same way. As you said, you decided that OC will not be an issue in your relationship. That sounds like a battle better left unfought.

Northerner

Great discussion. I appreciate the opportunity to benchmark.

I would prefer it not be an issue of contention as well. Untill I get my CC, when I am with her, we call it the "Christmas Present" and we move the "Christmas Present" from the trunk (when parked and not OC'ing) to the interior with us, when driving. Certainly CC will make it much easier to for self/spouse protection, but also easier on the perception thing. Thanks again.

elixin77

When it comes to asking permission - you usually don't do it when it comes to carrying your sidearm.

Talk to any manager, and they'll most likely say the same thing: guns aren't allowed.

If your looking for a place to live, then ask around to make sure that your firearms are legal to stay there as well before you sign a one year lease. I found out the hard way that firearms weren't legal at an apartment complex I used to stay at, so when I was looking for a new place, I was very blunt and made sure there was nothing in the lease that said I couldn't do anything.

Know the law. Know how GATTOTP works, and what is required for officers to charge you of it. And follow the three rules of professionals:
-be polite
-be efficient
-be prepared to ki.... we'll stop there :banana:

sultan62

elixin, I'm in a similar situation now. Fortunately, the restriction is against display, not storage. I can't OC on premises, and don't have my CHP.

elixin77

elixin, I'm in a similar situation now. Fortunately, the restriction is against display, not storage. I can't OC on premises, and don't have my CHP.

I believe that the entirety of the apt complex counts for you to be able to conceal while on your premises. I don't know the section or what not, but I remember reading that you are allowed to conceal while on your premises, so I would assume that you could conceal while you carry on apt grounds.

I could be dead wrong though, so don't take my word for it

mekender

Because Wal-Mart does not sell alcohol for the purpose of consumption on their premises. That is the key. You can go into any Wal-Mart, or any grocery store for that matter, and fill up your shopping cart with beer & wine if you so choose, and you have broken no laws. I do my grocery shopping mostly at Food Lion & Wal-Mart, though I do sometimes go to Harris Teeter or Lowes. I have purchased alcohol at all of those stores while open carrying.

Selling alcohol "for the purpose of consumption" really is referring to restaurants where alcohol is sold. Unfortunately we have an archaic law here that prevents one from being (lawfully) armed while in the majority of restaurants (since the majority of sit-down restaurants serve alcohol nowadays). Many states up & down the eastern seaboard allow carrying a weapon in such a restaurant. Hopefully we can get the law changed (updated). Apparently our state legislators (IDIOTS, mostly) have never heard of Luby's Cafeteria.

PS - Welcome to Open Carry.org... I too am technically a northerner. I'm from suburban Detroit originally, but I have long since departed the armpit of Michigan for the greener pastures of North Carolina, where I plan to stay :D

So I guess you could say that I am Northern by birth, but Southern by choice ;)

I wonder what happens in a case where a grocery store has a stand set up giving out little half ounce samples of wine?

mekender

TWC on Atlantic in Raleigh is posted no weapons.

So I go back lock my piece in the trunk and come back inside. I finished my equipment switchout (similar issues to yours) and asked to speak to a manager. She prattled on about everything from options not to come into the store to preventing workplace violence etc. She offered to have one of their security staff contact me and I got a call the same evening from a high ranking risk assessment type manager. The guy was former LEO and very cool. I asked him how many robberies or shootings he thought a sign like that could prevent and he said "probably zilch!". But he said he thought the genesis of the policy was insurance underwriting related and the chances of getting the signs removed were also zilch. He specifically recalled the success we've had with Harris Teeter and congratulated us on that effort.

All TWC offices nation wide are posted so far as I know. The ones here in NC and in VA are I know for sure.

Dreamer

I wonder what happens in a case where a grocery store has a stand set up giving out little half ounce samples of wine?

I called the NC AG last fall about this. There is a local gourmet wine store here in Washington that has free tastings once a month. I asked if the day they were doing the tasting would it be illegal to carry there, and the AG said it was their opinion that it IS a violation of NC law on THAT DAY ONLY, because they are serving for consumption on premises AND they offer it for sale...

Silly, but that it the official word I got from the AG's office.

Last edited:

Smith45acp

I called the NC AG last fall about this. There is a local gourmet wine store here in Washington that has free tastings once a month. I asked if the day they were doing the tasting would it be illegal to carry there, and the AG said it was their opinion that it IS a violation of NC law on THAT DAY ONLY, because they are serving for consumption on premises AND they offer it for sale...

Silly, but that it the official word I got from the AG's office.

Agreed, very silly. But "to the letter" is what I would expect from an AG

farkles

Hmmmm...that particular alcohol was not "sold", it was only consumed, while other alcohol presumably was sold but not consumed. Good question, but don't think any DA or Judge would touch that.....I hope

Sam

I would go ahead and carry if I walked into a store that was holding a taste test. If I'm not participating, who's going to call the cops on me? The law was put in place by idiots who think they need to prevent us from the temptation of drinking. I can go to a steak house and not get a beer. Jeez.

elixin77

this is a bit tricky.

on one hand, alcohol is being sold.
on a day they are tasting, it is being consumed.
therefore, alcohol is being sold and consumed.

however, those purchasing the alcohol aren't imbibing in it, ergo alcohol is not being sold and consumed at the same time.

i think if someone were to get cuffed for this, it would be tricky to fight for both sides